A very close friend of mine is currently enlisted in the army. I met him through that special someone I spoke about in my Valentine’s day post so by default the three of us have spent A LOT of time together. My friend has been in army training since September and to say that I miss him is an understatement. I REALLY miss him. He’s become a very important person in my life and we became very close friends the year before he left. I wanted to put together a little something special for him that shouted out Hey I miss you! It was a bit difficult because I wanted to send him basically everything but after some research I narrowed it down to a few key items I thought he would enjoy. Take a peak!
Care Package Items:
- Jif Peanut Butter
- Walkers Shortbread Cookies
- Assorted Peanuts
- Gillette Shaving Cream
- Old Spice Deodorant
- Men’s Health Magazine
- Pictures of close friends
- Shoe Box
- Tissue Paper
- Construction wrapping paper
Here are a few tips I rounded up which I thought could be helpful if you’re ever thinking of putting a little package together:
- There are various size and weight restrictions depending on where the package is being sent. After some research, I read that as a rule of thumb it’s best to limit the size to a shoebox container
- Use reusable packing material, something that the person can potentially re-use.
- Make sure to write out the complete address (unit, name, platoon etc.)
Food & Drink Tips:
- Anything that can be mixed with MREs (meal ready to eat) is very much appreciated like salt, pepper, ketchup, relish, mustard, peanut butter etc.
- Energy bars, tuna fish, non perishable beef jerky are a good source of protein
- Cookies and snacks are scarce but they should be packaged in hard containers such as nuts, pretzels, chips, etc.
- Powdered drink mixes are simple for them to use such as instant coffee, cocoa, tea, ice tea or lemonade
Personal Product Tips:
- Toiletries such toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream, disposable razors, deodorant, dental floss are always needed
- Eye drops, lip balm, aspirin, lotion, loofa, & soap are good items to give as well
Entertainment Tips & Reminders of Home:
- Books, magazines, crossword puzzles, word searches are a good source of entertainment
- Writing materials like envelopes, pens, writing paper and stamps can be really useful
- Friends & family pictures, homemade goods, local newspaper articles are nice to have (I personally think pictures are so important to have)